Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A New Climate Zone

Probably no more peaches in North Dakota - unless.......

Part of the fun of our upcoming move to the bustling metropolis of Grand Forks, North Dakota will be learning all about the nuances of what trees, plants, and veggies will be able to grow in our new home. Don't get me wrong, this won't be an easy task. I've spent 20 years in Southern California and take my plant knowledge somewhat for granted. All my previous knowledge and experience may have to get tossed out the window as we move from USDA Hardiness Zone 10 (warm) to Zone 4 (very, very cold).

Suffice to say the plants that can barely withstand a hard frost here in San Diego aren't going to cut it in North Dakota where the wind chill aided temps can regularly get to -40 or -50 Fahrenheit in the winter.

Luckily a bit in Internet research has helped my realize I can grow citrus indoors (RAD!!!!) without the need for pollination, and a few other fruit trees (pear, cherry, and apple) should to OK in the frigid Dakotas, but all this is conjecture at this point we'll have to see what pans out. I may also wind up constructing a greenhouse on the property, since there's certainly enough room, and Alycia seems to enjoy the prospect of having some fresh, organic, home grown veggies through the winter.

No comments: