Monday, August 1, 2011

Tater Tot Casserole/Hot Dish

So this recipe is closer to the antithesis of the recipes that I normally prepare, but it is a local delicacy.  Local delicacy yes, local food, probably not.  OK, the only local ingredients are the spinach (it is quite a bit of spinach at least) and probably the Tater Tots.  You've got to assume with all the potatoes grown around here that some bits and pieces of these tots are local.
Someone with Minnesota or North Dakota roots can pipe in and vouch for the passion that local folks display for their Tater Tot Casserole.

Though there are many variations of Tater Tot Casserole, they usually involve some ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, (obviously) Tater Tots, and a heavy dose of cheese.  Since Alycia does not consume the meat we replace it with some mixed veggies and about a pound of spinach, so it's sort of not that bad for you. Sort of.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Believe it or not, coming from the land of Cheeseheads, I have never consumed Tator Tot Casserole. I know, you don't believe me, do you? But it's true. Yours looks very good, though, so maybe I will be converted to this delicacy yet. (Of course, my doctor will be thrilled, but I hate her anyway.)